March 31, 2014 in Community News
VIRGINIA SCHOOL FOR THE DEAF AND THE BLIND
Position Number: 00002 Open Date: 3/26/2014
Hiring Range: $54,580 – $119,445 Closing Date: Open until filled
The Virginia School for the Deaf and the Blind (VSDB) in Staunton, Virginia is seeking a School Superintendent to function as the chief administrative officer for the school and provide quality leadership, direction, and operation for all programs of the school. This is a 12-month classified position with full state benefits.
- Provide effective leadership for the delivery of educational, residential and outreach services to students with sensory disabilities including evaluation of such services.
- Establish and maintain collaborative school-community partnerships between the school and all appropriate entities.
- Maintain agency compliance with the requirements set forth by the VSDB Board of Visitors, the Department of Behavioral Health and Developmental Services, the Department of Education and other regulatory authorities.
- Establish a strategic plan for the school which identifies areas where improvement is needed and makes recommendations for necessary enhancements along with resource requirements.
- Administer the agency budget in accordance with Commonwealth and agency guidelines, procedures and timelines, and advise the VSDB Board of Visitors on budget issues and fiscal matters.
- Serve as a member of the VSDB Foundation Board, attend meetings and advise the board, as appropriate.
- Ensure VSDB programs and services adhere to federal, state and local laws related to human resources, fiscal management, procurement, technology, facilities management and delivery of services to children.
- Ensure the staff is organized so that appropriate decision making may take place at various levels and the leadership abilities of the staff are utilized.
- Ensure staff development needs are identified and appropriate training is provided in accordance with the strategic plan.
- Provide adequate support for staff to develop effective current practices in their field.
- Advanced degree in special education or related area of school administration from a regionally accredited college or university.
- Hold or be eligible for a valid Division Superintendent’s License issued by the Board of Education with additional endorsement in one of the special education concentrations.
- Minimum of five years successful administration and supervision of programs for students with disabilities including students with sensory impairments
- Proficiency level of Advanced in American Sign Language (ASL) as measured by the Sign Language Proficiency Interview preferred. Candidates without the required proficiency level will be required to participate in approved ASL instruction with documented progression each year.
- Current CPR and First Aid Certification required or must be obtained per VSDB policies.
- Training in Therapeutic Options-Behavior system required or must be obtained per VSDB policies.
- Knowledge of federal, state and local laws and regulations related to areas of assignment, to include administrative functions, and educational and vocational programming for students with disabilities.
- Ability to develop collaborative community relationships for consumers, families, advocates and other professionals
- Ability to plan, prepare and implement a comprehensive budget including maintenance reserve and capital project funding
- Effective managerial skills that include collaboration, consultation, delegation of authority, timely and accurate completion of required activities, and positive professional/interpersonal relationships.
- Ability to interact appropriately with the media, the VSDB Board of Visitors, the VSDB Foundation Board, the Virginia Department of Education, the Virginia Department of Behavioral Health and Developmental Services, and other regulatory, professional and human service agencies.
- Ability to interact on a physical level with children and to perform repetitive motion to include standing, sitting, reaching, lifting, walking, bending , and climbing
Note: A criminal history check, including fingerprinting, will be required for final candidates. Applications must be completed on-line athttp://jobs.agencies.virginia.gov. For assistance call TDD (540) 332-9069, FAX (540) 332-9042, or visit our website at www.vsdb.k12.va.us.