Press & Guide
By Katie Hetrick
Tuesday, March 17, 2015
Dearborn, Michigan – Dozens of parents in Dearborn and other communities are upset after learning the district plans to end its program for deaf and hard-of-hearing students.
Parents inadvertently learned of the plans earlier this month when other school districts began contacting families who send their children to Dearborn to discuss making arrangements for next year.
“It’s horrible,” said parent Julie Long. Her son, Alex, has attended Dearborn Public Schools since preschool, and for years has been in the deaf and hard-of-hearing program.
Now, he faces the prospect of going to Stout Middle School next year.
“He potentially could be the only deaf child in the school,” Long said. Alex, who communicates through American sign language, could spend the day with no one he can talk to except his assigned interpreter.
“How is he able to socialize and grow,” Long said, noting that socialization is a key part of any school. Even his teachers will have to rely on the interpreter to talk to him.